Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Stones of Discontent: An Ungrateful Heart

It was a season of life where my husband was
working a lot. When I say a lot...I mean A LOT! He was in the middle of a turn-around (where they basically tear down, clean out, and rebuild the unit where he worked). He had already worked over 60 twelve hour days with another 30 guaranteed to go before he had a day off. He came home simply to eat, shower, and sleep. 

I had the responsibility of three girls ( 3,4, and 5 y/o) as well as trying to keep the house together and make sure he had everything he needed to continue working his long hours. I also had to do all the things around the house that he would typically take care of...trash, lawn, oil changes, etc...

We knew from the beginning the turnaround would be difficult, but we really looked forward to the paychecks that would come. To be honest I am almost certain we had those checks spent in our minds long before the first day of "turn-around" began.

Over time though, my heart began to change. I slowly lost the ability to see my husband's sacrifice or the long term benefit of the money. Discontentment slowly crept in and all I could see was how James not being there made my life more difficult

I began to resent that he abandoned me every day. I couldn't see that he was wearing himself our working so many hours. All I could see was that he left me alone to fill the role of both mom and dad. I resented having meals ready for him the moment he came through the door, only to watch him eat and then disappear into the bedroom to shower and sleep. I felt abandoned and rejected. I grew to resent the commitment he had towards his job...Not because I missed family time, but because it kept him from being there to make my life easier.

I had a heart condition that could be diagnosed as discontent. The children of Israel suffered the same condition.

Then the foreign rabble who were traveling with the Israelites began to crave the good things of Egypt. And the people of Israel also began to complain. “Oh, for some meat!” they exclaimed.  “We remember the fish we used to eat for free in Egypt. And we had all the cucumbers, melons, leeks, onions, and garlic we wanted. But now our appetites are gone. All we ever see is this manna!”, (Numbers 11:3-6, NLT)
 The children of Israel became blinded to the miracles of God in their circumstances because all they chose to focus on was what they didn't have.

I, suffered a similar "blindness" as my heart remained set on grumbling and complaining. I was so consumed with my desires for things to be different, I lost the ability to see the loving sacrifice my husband was making to provide for our family.

Paul apparently found the solution to this heart issue because he shares about his being content no matter what his circumstances are.


"I have learned how to be content with whatever I have. I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength.", (Philippians 4:11-13, NLT)
Fortunately for us, Paul gives us the recipe for laying down the stones of discontent. 

Step one: 
Rejoice in the Lord...ALWAYS!  
(there is not a "just when I feel like it" clause)

"Always be full of joy in the Lord. I say it again—rejoice! Let everyone see that you are considerate in all you do. Remember, the Lord is coming soon.", (Philippians 4:4-5, NLT)

Step Two: 
Don't worry about ANYTHING and Pray about EVERYTHING!
"Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.", (Philippians 4:6-7, NLT)

Step Three: 
Fix your thoughts on the GOOD! 
(I call this a "Shifted Vision")

"And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise. Keep putting into practice all you learned and received from me—everything you heard from me and saw me doing. Then the God of peace will be with you.", (Philippians 4: 8-9, NLT)

            

I'd like to say that I have conquered the ungrateful heart of discontentment, but t still rears its selfish head every now and then. I'm thankful to the Word of God that teaches us how to lay those stones down. Do you have stones of discontentment that you are ready to give to Jesus?

Dear Lord, I thank you for taking the
blinders off of my heart for me to recognize the discontentment that gives birth to ungratefulness. Help me follow the steps that Paul shared in Your Word to find freedom from the weight of these burdens. We give it to you. In Jesus name we pray~ Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: