Thursday, October 1, 2015

Collecting Stones of Offense #write31days

Laying Our Stones Down: #write31days Day 1

When my children were little, they collected stones. They loved the big, shiny, and jagged as much as the small, smooth, and dull. Everywhere we went, whether a weekly trek to the local library or a special vacation to Disney World, they would come home with pockets and hands full of rocks. I can’t count how many I recovered from the washer, heard clanging in the dryer, and worked to dislodge from the vacuum.

We gathered so many rocks and stones, that instead of planting flowers, we decided to create a rock garden. This gave my children a place to put their treasures without them causing damage to the machines on our home.

As they have gotten older, their desire to pick up random stones has lessened. They still come home with a special one every now and then, and they cling to it. These special ones are not released to the rock garden, but are displayed on shelves in bedrooms. Unlike the many they gathered as small children, these stones have their own story behind them. The girls can tell you exactly where they picked each one up, what was going on at the time, as well as why that one was chosen over another one.

Recently I recognize that my daughters are not the only stone hoarders in my home. I have my own collection of stones that I simply wasn’t aware of.

I’m not talking about the random ones you can pick up from a parking lot and place around a tree for a rock garden. The stones I am talking about are stones of offense.

Someone does or says something to us or about us, and instead of forgiving; we pick up that stone and hold on to it. We use it to keep score on how many times the assaulting person has wounded us. We keep it in a place of honor and can recite painful details of the moment we picked it up.

The problem is that the more stones we pick up, the heavier our burden becomes. We become weighted down holding on to these “painful treasures” and they begin to affect other parts of our lives. I know this can't be God's plan for us to be burdened this way.
Image courtesy of Pixabay


I encourage you to join me as we walk through the next 30 days learning to leave our weariness and burdens at the feet of Jesus. 

Dear Lord, I recognize that I have picked up a few stones and over time, I sense myself becoming weary from carrying them. Help me release the stones and each wound they represent. Help me truly forgive my offenders and walk in your freedom. I thank you for this, In Jesus' name ~ Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: