Thursday, October 29, 2015

Stones of Betrayal:Friends Become Enemies

12 
We were the best of friends. We shared everything with one another and were practically inseparable. I considered her a sister even though we didn't share any of the same DNA. Having her in my life brought much joy. 

One day all that changed. My friend turned on me. She stirred others against me and used all the things I had shared in confidence against me. I could have managed or handled the assault had it of come from someone I didn't know very well or care about. Her betrayal broke my heart in ways I had never experienced before. 

David experienced the same emotions.
"It is not an enemy who taunts me—I could bear that. It is not my foes who so arrogantly insult me—I could have hidden from them. Instead, it is you—my equal, my companion and close friend. What good fellowship we once enjoyed as we walked together to the house of God.",(Psalm 55:12-14, NLT)
I tried to mend things with my friend as well as understand why the betrayal happened...what did I do to offend her so deeply to cause the rift? I made no headway and gained no answers. There was nothing left for me to do except cry out to God. I clung to this verse praying that He really did hear my cries.
But I will call on God, and the Lord will rescue me. Morning, noon, and night I cry out in my distress, and the Lord hears my voice.", (Psalm 55:16-17, NLT)
As time went on, more and more emotional wounds were inflicted as it seemed my "friend was determined to destroy everything that was special to me. It became a constant battle that affected every area of my life. I had to trust God in ways that I had never had to do so before. David had faith to believe that God would keep him safe during his time of betrayal.
"He ransoms me and keeps me safe from the battle waged against me, though many still oppose me.", (Psalm 55:18, NLT)
I longed to lash out in revenge...to defend myself...but I had no way to do so. I also loved her too much to cause her the wounds she so eagerly caused me. 
"God, who has ruled forever, will hear me and humble them, For my enemies refuse to change their ways; they do not fear God.", (Psalm 55:19, NLT)

 The following verses of Psalm 55 felt so familiar they hurt.
 As for my companion, he betrayed his friends; he broke his promises. His words are as smooth as butter, but in his heart is war. His words are as soothing as lotion, but underneath are daggers!",(Psalm 55:20-21, NLT)

In my place of hurt, all I can do is give my burden to God and trust Him with it. 
"Give your burdens to the Lordand he will take care of you. He will not permit the godly to slip and fall. But you, O God, will send the wicked down to the pit of destruction. Murderers and liars will die young, but I am trusting you to save me.", (Psalm 55:22-23, NLT)
The relationship with my friend has never been repaired. I have never understood the source of our falling out or parting of ways. What has happened is that I my relationship with God grew deeper as I relied on Him to take care of me and not allow me to be crushed under the weight of the betrayal and assault. 

Dear Lord, Help me treasure my relationship with you over all the others in my life. I trust you to protect me when wounds come from the ones I love. Give me the courage to continue to love and trust even though I have been wounded. Help me to not reject future relationships because of the scars of old ones. In Jesus' name I pray~ Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: